In a society where women were discouraged from entering college due to their "insufficient brainpower" and "delicate health," four women from Syracuse University (New York) came together to form a society they named Gamma Phi Beta. Now, over 130 years later, we celebrate the vision and dedication of those women and all that have come since then, who have built Gamma Phi Beta into one of the largest and most well-respected sororities in the world.
1874 - Gamma Phi Beta is founded on November 11th, at Syracuse University.
1875 - Light and dark brown adopted as the official sorority colors, to honor Dr. J.J. Brown.
1888 - Carnation adopted as the official flower.
1908 - Gamma Phi Beta becomes the first sorority on the University of Oregon campus.
1919 - Gamma Phi Beta becomes an international sorority with the installation of Alpha Alpha chapter at the University of Toronto.
1929 - Camping adopted as the international philanthropy.
1970 - Merit Award established.
1971 - Gamma Phi Beta's 100th collegiate chapter installed, Delta Delta Chapter, California State University - Fullerton.
1979 - Central Office (International Headquarters) moved to Englewood, Colorado.
1984 - SisterLink Service established.
1990 - International Collegiate Board established.