CONSTITUTION OF THE
SINGAPORE STUDENTS ASSOCIATION
UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
The name of this body shall be the Singapore Students Association,
hereafter referred to as the SSA.
The address of the SSA shall be Room 202, EMU, University of Oregon,
Eugene, Oregon 97403.
- To serve the general welfare of Singapore students attending the
U of O;
- To represent Singaporean students to the Office of International
Services, the International Student Association, and other U of O
- To reflect a spirit of reciprocity and to foster closer ties
with our host community through service in our policies and
- All Singaporeans enrolled at the U of O are considered members.
- Members have the right to stand for election and to nominate
candidates for office. They have the right to speak and vote at
all general meetings.
- Students of other nationalities may be invited to attend our
- Students of other nationalities may have voting rights, if they
have participated in 80% of SSA meetings and activities.
- Management shall be provided by an Executive Committee to be
elected at each Annual General Meeting.
- The Executive Committee shall comprise a President, a
Vice-President, a Treasurer, a Secretary, a Registrar and 5 other
committee members. The Treasurer may not be elected to the same
post in the consecutive year.
- In the temporary absence of the President, the
Vice-President will assume the responsibilities of the
President as the acting President.
- The Executive Committee can, by a unanimous vote, accept the
resignation of any appointment holder due to unforeseen
- Transfer to another college
- Withdrawal or termination from college
- Severe health problems which require long term
- Should the post of the President be vacated, the
Vice-President shall assume all responsibilities as the Acting
President until the next general meeting is convened within a
month's time at which the new President will be elected.
- The Executive Committee can appoint any member to fill any
vacated post in the Executive Committee on a temporary basis
other than the posts of the President and Vice-President. This
decision will be subjected to a simple majority vote at a
- The Executive Committee shall be responsible for the programs,
correspondence, financial and other matters of the SSA,
- The term of office of the Executive Committee shall commence
upon election and end one month after the next Annual Meeting.
- The Executive Committee may appoint and terminate appointments
of such sub-committees and advisory bodies as may be appropriate
for the better administration of the SSA
- Members of a proposal may be recalled from their appointments; a
proposal must be endorsed by at least 25 members. The endorsement
must be submitted to the Executive Committee, at which time a
general meeting will be convened to vote on and effect the recall.
The meeting organized for this purpose shall take place within
three weeks of submission of the recall proposal.
- There shall be no subscription.
- Contributions and collections may be asked for as the nature of
activities requires. Fund-raising events may be organized when
- Funding may be obtained from the Incidental Fee Committee.
- The Treasurer shall keep no more than $30/- in petty cash. Any
sum beyond that shall be deposited in a bank account to be
designated by the Executive Committee.
- Withdrawals should be signed by the President or Secretary in
addition to the treasurer. Cash flows shall be reported regularly
to the Executive Committee.
- GENERAL MEETINGS
- Annual General Meeting
- The AGM shall be held once every academic year, not earlier
than the start of an academic year and not later than one
calendar month after the first day of the first term.
- The AGM shall be convened to receive the Secretary's annual
report, and review the audited accounts of the Treasurer. An
internal auditor shall be a member of the SSA appointed by the
Executive Committee for that purpose.
- A new Executive Committee shall be elected at the AGM.
- Any other relevant matters may be raised
- Extra Ordinary General Meetings
- These are general meetings other than the AGM, and may be
convened by the Executive Committee whenever necessary, or on
the requisition of at least 25 members.
- The requisition shall be signed by those members, and should
state the purpose of the meeting. This is to be submitted to
- At least 2 weeks' notice shall be given for general meetings. 25
members, or 30% of the number of Singapore students currently
enrolled at the U of O, constitute(s) a quorum. In the event that
a quorum is not achieved, the meeting shall be adjourned for not
less than 5 or more than 14 days to an appointed place and time.
Should the number then present be less than 25, those present
shall be considered a quorum, but shall have no power to alter or
amend the Constitution in any way.
- The president will chair the AGM, but other general meetings may
be chaired by his or her appointee.
- Subject to Article VIII, a general meeting shall make its
decisions by a simple majority vote.
Amendments to the SSA Constitution shall come into force by a vote of
at least žs of the members present at a general meeting convened for